Does a business require outsourcing to be successful?
All businesses can benefit from effective outsourcing, even the most small businesses at the beginning of their journey. Outsourcing becomes of increasing importance as a business begins to grow and scale. To reach the income goals which you have visualised, dreamed of, and which scare you a little (which they should do) outsourcing is one of the key ways to reach those goals. Outsourcing allows you to build a business which doesn’t require you to work 80-100 hour weeks, which allows you take on new clients, and gives you the freedom to create new products/ offerings.
If you want your business to compete with the ‘big multiple 7 figure brands’ in your industry, the quickest way to achieve this is through effective outsourcing. It’s impossible to do everything in your business, and the more you try to control all elements of your business the more unproductive and less focused you become as the owner/CEO. Would the industry leaders of today be where they now are without effective outsourcing? No. Effective outsourcing one of the key factors to the growth and scaling of a business.
So I asked myself, if I were running a multi-million pound business right now, how many people would I have on my team? My natural reaction was at LEAST 20, so who would I have on my team? Some examples would be;
- An affiliate Manager
- Facebook ads manager
- Virtual Assistant
- Marketing Manager
- Sales manager
- Pinterest Manager
- Operations Manager
- Web designer
- Graphic designer
- E-mail marketing manager
As its impossible for you, the CEO/ Owner to be an expert in all of the roles I have listed above, it’s key to hire those skills into your business. Yes you can spend more time taking courses, and learning the skills those staff members would have, but where would you find those hours?
Businesses today want rapid expansion and growth, we are no longer willing to wait for slow growth to trickle through our businesses. To sustain a rapid rate of growth and remain competitive, businesses need to hire experts and outsource. If you want to have rapid growth in your business, which is also manageable, start outsourcing today.
How do you know when it’s the right time to start outsourcing or expand your team?
I have always advocated outsourcing before it becomes a necessity, before you become too stretched and WAY before burnout.
Here are 3 key signs you are ready to outsource.
- There simply isn’t enough hours in each day! At the moment if a you wanted to take on that next big client, you simply couldn’t. Without outsourcing you simply can’t continuously expand your business and client base.
- You are spending a disproportionate time completing non- income generating tasks.
- Your feeling un-focused and you are spinning too many plates at the same time. This lack of focus and/or direction could be costing you thousands, make sure you are working in the area YOU are an expert.
What are the benefits from outsourcing in my business?
The benefits of outsourcing in your business are endless, but here I shall name a few
- The number 1 reason to outsource, is that you get your time back. Remember all those lost hours spent trying to figure out how to get Active Campaign to work the way you want? Time is one of your most valuable assets, the more time you have, the more income you can be generating in your business.
- Your business gains new expertise and a different view point. We all see the world and business in different ways, whilst also bringing different skills to the table. Hire experts to broaden the skill set within your business.
- You have more time to dedicate to your clients and providing a better service.
- You get to focus on what you WANT to do rather than what you SHOULD be doing in your business. Stay in your zone of genius.
- Less stress/ burnout. Once you stop doing ‘everything’ in your business you can release the feeling of overwhelm.
- Client communication will be more efficient and effective.
I can highlight all the benefits of outsourcing, and give advice on when it’s best to start outsourcing, but I know too well that outsourcing parts of your business can be difficult.
Outsourcing elements of your business can be scary, and handing over all operations to an Online Business Manager can seem equally liberating and terrifying at the same time. Your business has become part of your life, and letting go can cause fears and doubts to creep in;
– Will my clients think less of me, as I am not personally replying to all my e-mails.
– Will clients think I am a ‘fraud’ for not completing all the work myself.
– What if they don’t complete the work to a standard I am happy with and I end up doing it all myself anyways?
– I have heard horror stories of outsourcing, where it hasn’t worked out for other business owners.
I have been there and understand how that feels, however having the sheer weight lifted off your mind that your business is being worked on whilst you are sleeping, or on client calls outweighs any outsourcing fears.
I work with business owners who want to create a freedom lifestyle, business owners who want to do things their way, who travel the world whilst running their business, and business owners who want to take their product global. I have listed the benefits to your business, but the benefits of outsourcing go far beyond your business. As your business is your life, the benefits extend into the lifestyle you are creating.
Imagine when starting your day, you only need to contact one person. Your Online Business Manager. Who can easily update you on the tasks completed in your business and what work requires your direct input. Your mornings are stress free, you don’t need to check your e-mails, or panic that something hasn’t been completed. Your morning meditation and journaling session can go from being 30 mins to an hour long. During that longer journal and meditation session you manifest your next product idea. From outsourcing effectively, you can book that trip you have been planning, and you don’t have to check your e-mails every hour, or spend a couple of hours an evening working from your hotel room. Explore and take on your adventures knowing everything has been taken care of.
Outsourcing gives the ability to create more freedom in your life. Freedom to take the afternoon off, just because its sunny, freedom to be more creative, or freedom to spend more time with your family. You are less free when you are more stressed or carrying around an unnecessary ‘weight’ of a long to- do list.
How to find the right people to start outsourcing in your business
Hiring the right people can make outsourcing effortless , and to make sure you avoid any of those doubts seeming like a reality, it’s important to hire the right people. There are multiple ways to find freelancers or team members to starting outsourcing tasks to. Whether this is via recommendations, Facebook groups, Pinterest, Instagram, Podcasts to name just a few. Finding freelancers/ team members isn’t what we are going to address here, as there are multiple people in all sectors who you start outsourcing to. What I want to cover here, is how to make sure you are hiring the right people.
My top 4 tips for hiring/ outsourcing the right people into your business are:
- Research: Research any potential freelancers, review their website, blog, and social media presence. Write down any questions you may have for your candidate.
- Who are they? From looking at their content on websites or on social media, its key to get an understanding of who they are. Do they have similar interests to you?Does their content resonate with you? Do they have any views which you strongly disagree with? Leaning more about who they are and what they stand for will help make a connection and you will have a better working relationship.
- Don’t make a decision solely based on cost: Making a decision based on cost alone, could cost you more in the long run, and those fears you had at the beginning of your journey may start to creep in. Based on the research you have carried out, look for a range of prices which fit into your budget.
- The interview stage: This is the MOST important stage of hiring someone in your business. Run initial interviews, then run second interviews. Make sure you have a list of questions prepared, use your intuition to see what their energy is like, and aim to understand if they are a good fit for your business.
So you have reached to this point and you know all about outsourcing and how to grow and scale your business, whilst not impacting your freedom lifestyle. Although you know that you need help in your business, you don’t know what to outsource first! The thought of digging through everything to even start outsourcing can seem overwhelming. In order to help you I have created a guide on what to outsource in your business and a checklist to complete before you start outsourcing. To access the guide enter your details in the box below!
If would you would like to hear more about how Virtually Amy Kneale can manage your virtual team, implement systems into your business, and complete tasks which consume your day then please contact us.